It's eleven o'clock, you've been dancing for a couple hours, drinking exhorbitant amounts of alcohol, and suddenly, it hits! The hunger pangs, the want to munch on something sweet or salty.
It doesn't matter if it was a 4-5 course dinner - the late night station prevails as one of the most sought after add-ons for events. Most venues now offer it as part of their packages, but the need to be unique is also pretty evident, especially in a trend setting industry such as ours.
So here are our top picks for unique late night station ideas that will both please your guests' palette, and give them a little wow factor.
1. Hand Carved Smoked Meat Sliders - move over, burgers! A great play on the usual beef slider is the smoked meat slider, carved in front of your eyes, and tips a hat to the Montreal smoked meat sandwiches only found in it's namesake city. Top with dijon mustard and sauerkraut and you got yourself a definite crowd pleaser.
2. Nitrogen Ice Cream or Popcorn - a little bit more daring and original, the nitrogen ice cream or popcorn stations gives the guests a little bit of eye candy (pardon the pun) while being delicious and interactive. Perfect for the nerdier couple that enjoys a little bit of Discovery Channel on a rainy day.
3. Gourmet Grilled Cheese - this isn't just Wonderbread and a slice of Velveeta. Ask your venue to build a stellar, one-of-a-kind grilled cheese station that offers multiple selections of cheese, like harvarti, swiss and old aged cheddar, and a variety of different breads - pumpernickel, rye, and sourdough are our favourites - to make this more than just a simple sandwich.
4. Hot Chocolate - let's face it - we know that Mother Nature has been a little fickle in our area and we may very well have a winter snow storm in March. To make up for it, treat your guests to a gourmet hot chocolate station, with freshly steamed milk, real cocoa, and a bunch of different toppings from whipped cream to maraschino cherries to finish it off. Maybe even add a shot of creme de cacao for a sophisticated touch.
5. Sno Cones - on the flip side, if you're doing your wedding on a hot summer day, guests would really appreciate something cool and refreshing like a sno cone - especially if they have been breaking a sweat from all the dancing! Customize it with your wedding colours to make it truly your own.
6. "Spiked" Coffee - if you are a coffee lover like I am, then you would appreciate this! Fill large dispensers of coffee (make one of them iced!) and then offer a bunch of syrups on the side with pumps so that your guests can mix and match flavours. And for an added touch, put a couple pumps in some of your favourite liqueurs - Kahlua and Bailey's Irish Cream are the best! Don't forget the cream, milk and sugar, for more traditional guests.
TIme to go have lunch! I'm hungry!
Enjoy and happy planning,